Aug 8, 2012

Olympic Inspiration

Who wasn't impressed by this man?


I was moved by his devotion, dedication, and sheer athleticism.  He's an example of the winning spirit...the same spirit that many of our children carry as well.  Perhaps my own daughter will not be running in the Olympics, but Oscar Pistorius of South Africa has made a huge impact on the world and, I believe, opened a massive door for so many of our children throughout the world.


I was further impressed that James also recognized the enormity of Pistorius' example and work and exchanged running bibs.  Pistorius has already received worldwide recognition and rightfully so.  Though I haven't searched extensively, I haven't found any interviews with James, seen any quotes on his thoughts and feelings and what motivated him to want to keep Pistorius' bib.  I'm equally impressed that this competitor recognized his fellow running mate's talent and courage, and then acted so that he could remember that moment his entire life...and then, perhaps, share it with those around him.  I can imagine James, 65 years old, telling his children or grandchildren about how he ran the Olympics with Pistorius, a man of sheer courage and strength, as he overcame his physical disability.  These are both examples of how we can change the world.

You can read more about the race and see his interview with the Today Show here.
 photo jenniesig.png

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails