Jul 19, 2012

Awesome Developmental Toys

I found an awesome website here for toys that help with all different kinds of developmental disabilities.  The website is FatBrainToys, and has an awesome selection of toys.  And whats great about it is that it allows you to choose toys by age, sex, or by many of the special needs or by developmental goal.

By the way, I am in no way affiliated with this company, or trying to promote it.  I just know a lot of people that have tried to find somewhere with toys that would help with developmental goals, and so I've searched the internet a lot, and wanted to share!

I have some of the toys from the website that my daughter has used for quite some time, so I thought I'd share some reviews!

 
These are sensory balls, and they are $14.95.  My daughter absolutely loves these, and she did from a very early age too.  At one point we were worried about sensory issues with her, and so I got these balls for her to start practicing with different sensory feelings.  She was so amused by them right off the bat, and now we still use them even though she's almost three!  The spikes help her catch the ball easier, as well as have a grip on it while she's throwing.  And we roll them on her arms and legs for a different sensory feel as well!

 
This is the mini rainbomaker and it's $10.95. Grace absolutely loves this, and she actually got it from a very good friend of ours.  It helps her relax when she's stressed, it gets her calm in the truck if we've been driving a long time, and it also helps her in the doctors office.  But not only that...it help with the words: up, down, over, under, fast, slow, in, top, bottom, and roll!

 
These are called Tangle Hairy, and they are $6.95.  Now, my daughter only has sensory issues with grass...but when we get these things...they are so different for her that she doesn't really like them.  We've come a long way though.  I don't really know what the problem with it is, but she'd rather hold it by the strings than by the whole thing.  Regardless, we have been able to rub on her arms and legs to relax her, we rub them on the bottoms of her feet before we work in the grass and it somewhat desensitizes her feet so the grass doesn't bother them so much, and it helps with the strength of her grip.


This is the Hoberman Sphere, and it's $32.95.  We are lucky enough that we got it as a gift, and at this point, Grace is still somewhat unsure about it.  But the great thing about this is that it works her chest muscles as well as her arm muscles, because in order to open it her arms have to be up at shoulder length, and she's pulling her arms out to her sides and back in to open and close it!  This helps her stretch her shoulder muscles, and gives her that upper body strength that she really needs.  Plus, her ability to coordinate opening this sphere as she's standing still is skill building for sure!

These are just a few of the great things on the website.  I just know that I'm always searching for toys that I can use with my daughter to help increase her comprehension, understanding, and communication skills, and so instead of hoarding the website, I wanted to share!!!  I hope you guys can all check it out.  If the link didn't work up top, this is the web address...


Amanda














2 comments:

Playmobil Leisure said...

What children learn from play can be vastly different depending on their experiences and their learning styles. Every child has a different way of absorbing knowledge, an optimal way of retaining what he or she learns. Learning and exploring together can be fun so don’t worry about your baby’s development compared to others and just enjoy the time together.

Amanda said...

I definitely enjoy playing with her and watching her experience new things! It is touch to not compare, I think that's the same for every parent, special needs or not. But I'm getting better at it. It's also so easy to play with simple toys that don't cost a ton of money. We especially love playing in her wading pool, which gives so many options to learning and teaching with toys in a different setting.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails