Feb 16, 2011

Invisible in Amsterdam

When I read Tara's post wanting additional stories about our children, I was actually surprised. Not surprised that we all love to read each other's stories, but surprised, because I didn't think a lot of my stories would be relevant for the Kidz blog.

So much of what we read here are tips, inspirational stories, uplifting quotes and about how much we love our children. All of that is true, vital and necessary for coping and for our survival. But... in our family's life, at times it has been hard to see the sun through the clouds.


I know we all have those days. Bad days are part of life and part of the gig we have of being parents. But, as parents to special needs children, we may even have a few more bad days than most due to circumstances beyond our control such as health, medications, behavior issues, therapy, etc.

When I read Tara's post, I realized something. Maybe all of my posts aren't screaming "This is so wonderful, I wouldn't trade it for anything", but they still have meaning and value. I know it helps me to read about other moms who struggle with some of my similar thoughts, feelings, and experiences. That connection brings me support and helps me to not feel as alone and isolated in our trials blessings.

Because Jackson, my not so little guy anymore, isn't medically fragile, we sometimes blend in quite well with the typical world. In other situations, we stand out A LOT more. So, last fall when I read Dana's post about Amsterdam International for the first time, I added my two cents on my personal blog.

I then shared more of my thoughts this past week when Dana created the AI Button.

You can read both posts HERE.

Being able to share our challenges and our triumphs is what makes Kidz and other special needs sites so important. Parents are swapping ideas, what works and what doesn't work, thoughts and feelings about how great it is to have a special needs child and why it is hard. I've learned it is okay to talk about the hard part. Sometimes we may feel as though we have to put on this happy face and pretend everything is okay when inside we are trying not to crumble. All of you are the ones who know exactly what I mean when I share thoughts on hospitals, meds, behavior, IEP and therapy. When I share it with parents of typical children, I know they love and want to support us, but the exact meaning of my message and the feelings behind it sometimes become lost in translation.

Thanks for the nudge Tara. Hopefully we'll have more posts about the reality of life. No worries, not everything I have to say is about the "hard stuff" and I'll try not to over share. :) In fact, because after 10 years of searching we've finally found medication that helps Jackson. Life is actually moving forward once again and we have seen the sun A LOT. Oh how we LOVE the SUN! We hope most of our stormy days are behind us!!!

2 comments:

Tara Bennett said...

Jennie, thank you SO much for sharing this! Yes, we try to find the positive here at kidz. But we also need to be realistic! It's okay and encouraged to admit your frustrations and talk about your hard days. Thank you thank you! I appreciate you!!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing. I have a son with mild autism. It has been difficult because telling people about his dx feels like I may be pigeon-holing him. He is so mild I don't know what the future will hold and if he is able to function well in the future, will he be forever remembered as "the autistic boy down the street" I feel like we don't fit with the "special needs group" but we are definately not in the "normal" group. I love to hear the amazing stories of all of you wonderful courageous mothers. You inspire me!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails