Jan 29, 2009

Enough



Sorry I'm posting this later than usual. I had virus issues last night. Oye. But no worries, we're back up and running today!

I Wish You Enough
Author Unknown

Recently, I overheard a mother and daughter in their last moments together at the airport. They had announced the departure. Standing near the security gate, they hugged, and the mother said, "I love you, and I wish you enough."

The daughter replied, "Mom, our life together has been more than enough. Your love is all I ever needed. I wish you enough, too, Mom."

They kissed, and the daughter left. The mother walked over to the window where I was seated. Standing there, I could see she wanted and needed to cry. I tried not to intrude on her privacy, but she welcomed me in by asking, "Did you ever say good-bye to someone knowing it
would be forever?"

"Yes, I have," I replied. "Forgive me for asking, but why is this a forever good-bye?"

"I am old, and she lives so far away. I have challenges ahead, and the reality is - her next trip back will be for my funeral," she said.

"When you were saying good-bye, I heard you say, 'I wish you enough.' May I ask what that means?"

She began to smile. "That's a wish that has been handed down from other generations. My parents used to say it to everyone." She paused a moment and looked up as if trying to remember it in detail, and she smiled even more. "When we said, 'I wish you
enough,' we wanted the other person to have a life filled with just enough
good things to sustain them."

Then, turning toward me, she shared the following as if she were reciting it from memory.
I wish you enough sun to keep your attitude bright no matter how gray the day may appear.

I wish you enough rain to appreciate the sun even more.

I wish you enough happiness to keep your spirit alive and everlasting.

I wish you enough pain so that even the smallest of joys in life may appear bigger.

I wish you enough gain to satisfy your wanting.

I wish you enough loss to appreciate all that you possess.

I wish you enough hellos to get you through the final good-bye.

19 comments:

Junior said...

I love this one, very sweet.

The High Family said...

I heard this story many years ago and it was beautiful to hear it again today. Thank you!

Jo-Ann said...

Oh I love this one, especially these two.

I wish you enough rain to appreciate the sun even more.

I wish you enough pain so that even the smallest of joys in life may appear bigger.

thank you for posting it.

Amanda said...

How funny that you put this up today, I was just going to forward it to you...Love it.

Anonymous said...

I loved this!

Pam said...

Beautiful. I needed that today.

Danyele Easterhaus said...

i love that post!!! so great. that is one of my fav things to remember. enough is all i need.

Colleen said...

That was beautiful....I wish you enough!

Devon said...

Wow, that was amazing. Thank you!!!

RNLambile said...

I love this story. Even though I've heard it before, it still chokes me up. P.S. Glad you got past your virus issues! Those are the worst!

Shelly said...

RNLambile is Josh's account. I didn't realize he was still logged in. Sorry. :)

Hccm said...

Wonderful post!

Hugs and Mocha,
Stesha

kidzorg.blogspot.com said...

I have never heard that before. It is beautiful.

PletcherFamily said...

Oh my goodness! I love this story! Thanks for sharing. I might have to post this one (if you don't mind). I love it!

PletcherFamily said...

BTW- if it is okay with you if I post this story, I will link to your blog. I forgot to put that part! :)

Keri said...

Oh my Tara, this is another fantastic post. I just love the end. Those are some powerful words. Love it!

Kudos!

WheresMyAngels said...

Now that is a tear jerker!

Cristin said...

I've never seen this one before... very sweet... love it.

CC said...

that is gorgeous. I've never read it before.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails