Jan 5, 2009

Baby, It's Cold Outside!

Can you believe it's the first Monday of 2009?!?! Time flies! If you were busy celebrating and missed this week's feature story, be sure to go find out About Jophie. He is a delight and his mom is amazing.


For most of you, the ground is covered with snow. This means you've either got the kids bundled up and playing outside, with hot cocoa on hand for when they come back in, or you're trying to figure out ways to help entertain them indoors. Here are a few ideas for making winter memories with the kiddos outside and inside!



Outside


Parents.com gives 20 Games to Play in the Snow. Here are two of their ideas that I especially liked:


If you want to bring the feel of snowflakes to your home, here are a few ideas for you, courtesy of Martha Stewart. Just when I think she couldn't possibly have any more ideas up her sleeve, she goes and blows me away again and again!




These outdoor snowflakes look fragile, but they are actually

sturdy and weatherproof, and add whimsy!


I think these beaded snowflakes would look so pretty
hanging in a window or on a glass door!


Inside

One of my favorite blogs, 5 Minutes For Special Needs, has a fun tradition on Mondays....

My little Chloe isn't quite capable of playing with magic markers just yet, but I still love to pop over there on Monday's and see what the other kids have done! And when I saw this idea:


I immediately thought of Magic Marker Monday. I think this is such a cute way to showcase children's art throughout the year! Go here for instructions.

If your children can't be trusted with magic markers, but they enjoy art, it might be fun to make these:


Am I the only one thinking, 'Why didn't I think of that?' What a cute and easy idea! No Time For Flashcards shows you how to turn ordinary crayons into these fun treasures!

If you'd like to curl up with your little one and a book, this is one of Chloe's current faves:

A Snowman Named Just Bob, by Mark Kimball Moulton


If you need any recipes, or a reason to laugh, Chloe's Nana is full of it at Nana's Kitchen! Go visit Nana!

Giveaways!

Last week's commenters were all put into a drawing to win....

And the lucky winner is....


Colleen from The Princess and the Monkey

Congrats Colleen!!!

This week's giveaway is a $10 gift certificate to any restaurant of your choice via Restaurant.com. Now who wouldn't LOVE to go out to dinner?!?! Leave comments and enter to win!!!

Good luck!

19 comments:

Diane said...

Congrats to Colleen!
Those are all great ideas Tara! Thanks! I sooo want to make those beaded snowflakes!

Colleen said...

Tara...thanks for all the cold weather ideas! and thanks again for the scrapbook pages...that should be my coldweather project!

Queenie Jeannie said...

What a fantastic post!! Lots of fabulous ideas!!!

Thank you for the birthday wishes! It's was a real lazy, low-key day but great anyway, lol!

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to stop by and wish you a Happy New Year.My puter had a virus,so I've beEn out of the loop for awhile....Ann

nikkicrumpet said...

Very cute ideas....love the snowflakes...I don't need them however...I have MORE THAN ENOUGH of the real stuff! Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

Tara,please come by my blog.I have a well deserved award for you...Ann

Nana said...

I love the snow flakes!!!!

Kristina P. said...

I love the Tic Tac Snow idea! So easy and simple!

Amanda said...

Oooh, those crayon things look like lots of fun! Yes, it is cold outside, very, very, very cold it's 16 here in Orem, brrrr. Btw, I love Zooey Deschanel's version of Baby it's Cold Outside, love Elf too :)

Becky said...

I love the snowflake ideas! I love snow, but sadly we don't have any here in my part of PA, although I will soon see snow when I go to Utah on Saturday. Hope everyone is having a wonderful New Year!

Jane In The Jungle said...

Oh I sooooo love the snowflakes!! Especially since those are about the only ones we see around here!

Anonymous said...

You have so many great ideas and links here! thank you for sharing!!!

Abby said...

Those are some really fun ideas!

Anonymous said...

Excellent. Will definitely try these out.

Jenners said...

As always, lovely and wonderful ideas! All I need is some snow...we haven't had a single flake!

Happy 2009!

Anonymous said...

I love all of these ideas! I'll have to adapt some of those 20 games to play in the snow since it's been so warm here! We had crayons like that when I taught preschool and I completely forgot about them. I will have to make some for Aiden!

Anonymous said...

Great ideas! We tried the snow globes years ago and they came out great! Just make sure you get the main item attached to the lid good. We had one float off! The kids loved it!

Anonymous said...

Such a wealth of great ideas! I love the snow globe and the calendar idea :)

We made a bunch of melted down chunky crayons a while back and it was a ton of fun -- I keep meaning to post about it, but it's been kinda crazy around here :P Love the candy mold idea for them!

You know, Tara, if any of your kiddos want to join in with MMM, they are more than welcome -- it's for everyone and not restricted to special needs.

I keep meaning to pop by and comment on the post you put up about Jacqui too -- you did a great job! Thanks for the button code too (which I ALSO haven't gotten around to posting -- can ya tell I'm a tad behind around here? :P)

Glad you linked up and joined in this week!

~Michelle @ 5MFSN

The High Family said...

You never disappoint! I love love love those snowflakes and I will definitely try those awesome candy mold crayons.

Thanks for all the GREAT ideas Tara!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails