Sep 13, 2011

Teens With Special Needs & Facebook

Photobucket


I really enjoyed this article by Terri Mauro of About.com. Here's a little bit about it....

Most parents have a wary relationship with social networking when it comes to their kids. We've all heard about cyberbullying and young people doing dangerous things without realizing. But for your teen with special needs, social networks like Facebook can be an easily supervisable way to tiptoe into the world of typical peers without having to actually deal with them in person. With proper supervision, Facebook can be far less treacherous than your average high-school hallway or lunchroom. Here are five reasons why you may want to consider setting up a Facebook account for your child.

1. It establishes an online identity.
2. Having friends feels good, even when they're virtual.
3. You can help your child socialize.
4. It reinforces useful skills.
5. It's an age-appropriate activity.

Read the full article here.
Other food for thought: Help Your Teen With Special Needs Stay Safe on Facebook.

1 comment:

Lori said...

Oh my! My daughter is not a teen yet, but I am so torn about when she is. I do want her to have the experience and fear what it can do. The article has some great tips, thanks. I will hide that away in the back of my mind until my girl is old enough. I will put it right next to where I file the denial that she is going to actually one day be a teen! UGh!! :)

~Lori

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails