May 25, 2011

Charlotte's Poems


Yesterday Ella, age 2, asked me where her sister was. I replied that Ava was upstairs asleep. Ella said "Where my other sister? Where Lily?"
It was the first time Ella has asked about Lily, unprompted.
I went upstairs to gather myself and stopped in front of a framed copy of two poems I wrote for Charlotte, one a few weeks before she passed, and one right after.

Goodnight Boo

In Boo's room all painted in pink
There's a feeding pump with lights that blink and
alarms that ring if the tube has a kink.
And an IV pole, and a feeding bag full
of Pediasure, good for body and soul.
And an air purifier and a humidifier,
and a pulse oximeter with five feet of wire
and a night stand and floor fan
and a red lit probe taped to Boo's foot or hand.
And Breath Rite Strips and Tender Grips
and Albuterol and Tylenol
and a Princess nightlight shining down the hall.
Goodnight Boo.
Goodnight to all your special things too:
Goodnight wire and humidifier
Goodnight fan and IV stand
Goodnight Grips and goodnight strips
Goodnight meds like Prevacid
and Goodnight to pumps that keep you fed
Goodnight to steady vital signs
Goodnight to tube and probe and lines
Goodnight to blinking lights and beeps
Goodnight to Boo, now fast asleep.

And the other:

In Charlotte's new room filled with Glory and Light
A dear little girl rests soundly tonight
and Grandmas and Grandpas have tucked her tight.
A brown dog rests her head at the foot of her bed
near a big stack of storybooks just freshly read.
She listens to lullabies with good little ears
Stretches little strong legs which brought her here
and of needles and haircuts she has no fear.
Her only regret is she knows we are sad.
She looks down and says "Goodnight mom and dad-
I'm safe and I'm happy in this beautiful place
I'm strong and I'm glad there's no tube on my face.
When I first arrived with a dance and a twirl
Jesus held me and said 'Well done little girl-
You did just what I sent you to do--
You brought nothing but joy and perspective too
And all those who met you saw Me in you.'
They gave me a big party with suckers galore
and beads and monkeys, but daddy, there's more!
I can do all the things I could not do before.
I'm glad Ella is with you, you'll be alright
Wouldn't want you to miss getting up in the night
and when missing me is just too much to bear
I'll send a kiss through my sister, you'll know I am there
Goodnight mom and dad, I'll see you so soon
I can't wait to show you my new princess room!
Thank you for taking such good care of me
Now I'll watch over you and my whole family."


Everything is fine. My girls are fine. And I know just where they are.

Photobucket

1 comment:

Karthika Qpt said...

nice blog.you can also see the great quotes

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails