Dec 3, 2010

North Pole Magic

kidz

This is a repost because I'm on vacation and don't have time to come up with something new. It's good, though, so enjoy!

I want to share some fun ideas that will help bring a little bit of North Pole whimsy to your house and the little believers in it!

First of all, have the kiddos sent a wish list to Santa? Once that's done....

Wouldn't it be fun if the kids could get a custom reply back from Santa? The North Pole Secretary is just the place to go. Just let them know your child's name and other info unique to your child (due date is the 18th), and Santa will send a personalized letter that will bring excitement, but the letter will also remind of the importance of things like "caring, sharing, and the Baby who made it all possible." Cute.

And oh my am I excited to share the second idea. My friend Mel was the one to tell me about....

Carol at Elf on the Shelf explains this fun tradition:


This charming tradition began for our family when my children were very small. Plagued by their desire to know how Santa really knew who had been naughty or nice, I searched through the Christmas decorations for a plausible explanation. Nestled among them was the answer; a small elf doll from my own childhood. With that discovery, the idea for the elf tradition was born.

At our home the elf would arrive around the holidays, usually at Thanksgiving. His sole responsibility was to watch my children's behavior and report it to "Santa" each night. The next morning after the children awoke, they discovered the elf had returned from the "North Pole" and was hiding in a different place. My children would race each other out of bed to try and be the first to spy him in his new position.

Over the years the tradition was perfected and rules were even introduced. For example, to better preserve his mystique the children were not allowed to touch him; however, they were allowed to talk to him. For obvious reasons, he was not allowed to reply. Eventually, my children even gave him a name - officially adopting him into the family.

Unwittingly, the tradition provided an added benefit: it helped the children to better control themselves. All it took was a gentle reminder that the "elf was watching" for errant behavior to be modified.

I never dreamed this simple tradition would lead to so many Christmas memories for our entire family. It is my earnest desire that The Elf on the Shelf: A Christmas Tradition will bring as much joy to your family as it has to mine.


Mel's family named their elf Buddy, and he has been spotted throughout their house this season....

Buddy hangin' out in a stocking

Buddy chillin' in a doll house

I can't wait to get a little elf of my own and create this tradition. I think it is a fantastic idea!

Elf Magic is a site that gives other ideas for your little elf.



Have you ever heard of Magical Reindeer Dust???


According to Kelly tells you how to make it and shares the legend behind it:

it has once been said,
that right before you go to bed.
you should sprinkle magic reindeer food,
to quickly bring Santa and his brood.
for many years the legend has been told,
to boys and girls, both young and old,
sprinkle the food throughout your yard,
then finding your house won’t be so hard!
the reindeer can smell the food for 100 miles,
just do not leave it in big piles!
after you do this you must go to sleep very fast,
so Santa and his reindeer will not pass!


I think this is such a fun idea. Go visit Kelly to get the recipe and tell her thanks for the idea!

Speaking of reindeer, doesn't everyone leave cookies for Santa to nibble when he stops on Christmas Eve? I think he might appreciate chompin' on these little guys.....

photo found on Big Oven.com

We made these little nummies for our neighbor gift last year. We put nine reindeer on each plate: eight had brown noses, and one had a red nose. I don't think that needs an explanation. They were a hit! They are made of peanut butter cookies. Pretzel bits are used to make the antlers. M&M's used for the noses, and we just used squeeze frosting to make the eyes. Yummy, easy and cute!

One last North-Pole-ish idea. This was a gift I got from a neighbor last year and I think it is so cute....

I put this little sign next to Santa's cookies on Christmas Eve last year, and I think it was appropriate. I decided to attempt to replicate it for a few gifts this year, and I was shocked at how easy it was! I just got an 8x8" plain white tile, a small black easel, and then created the vinyl lettering on my Cricut. They turned out pretty darn cute, and it only took me about ten minutes to make. Easy. Cute. Voila.

If you need any ideas for neighbor gifts, here are some easy ideas that the whole family could help put together....

Bag of M&M's
As you hold these candies in your hand, and turn them you will see
The M becomes a W, and E and then a 3
They tell the Christmas story, It's one I'm sure you know
It took place in a stable a long, long time ago
The E is for the East, where the star shone so bright
The M is for the manger where Baby Jesus slept that night
The 3 is for the wise men, bearing gifts they say they came
W is for Worship, Hallelujah, Praise His Name
So as you eat these candies or share them with a friend
Remember the meaning of Christmas it's a Love Story that never ends.


Bounty paper towel roll
This season may the "absorbing" spirit of Christ "blot" out your problems, "soak up" your sorrows, and "wipe" away your difficulties and may the new year bring you "bounteous" blessings all the year through!



kitchen tea towel

At first glance, one looks at a kitchen towel and thinks, "Wow! A towel! I needed a new one," or Wow! A towel! The old ones are getting stained and worn. But have we ever stopped to think that for years, even thousands of years, the towel has not just been used in the kitchen, but for a variety of reasons?

Take, for example, the mother who wipes the tears of a little child to soothe the physical and emotional hurt; The physician who binds the wound of a bleeding patient; The woman in her home wiping hands as she moves from task to task; The weary traveler who wipes his sweated brow.

Notwithstanding all of the above examples, perhaps the most significant use of the towel was about 2,000 years ago when our loving Jesus took an ordinary towel in his hands and dried the feet of his disciples only hours before his crucifixion. Sure, the towel is a handy item with a myriad of uses, but it also has deep symbolic meaning when seen in the hands of the Savior during a work of kindness for his fellowmen.

So, take this towel, knowing it is given with love, and do works of goodness with it, as the Savior worked with His so many years ago.


I got all these ideas at a boutique, and I'm sorry, I don't know where the poems originated from. Just know that these are not my ideas. I am not nearly so clever!

I hope everyone is having a wonderful holiday season and lots of fun with your families!!!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails