Nov 30, 2009

With a Little Help From My Friends

When Clayton came home from six and half months in the NICU, I was overwhelmed and I had tunnel vision. I had become consumed with his medical needs and my "former life" had passed away. And while our friends did everything they could to help us out (we wouldn't have survived without them), I still felt allienated from "regular" people. So it was quite a surprise when I came to depend on Clayton's therapists for my socialization. They were in our home four days of the week and although they were getting paid for Clayton's therapy, they soon became my confidants and therapists as well! To be honest, I wouldn't have made it out of bed on some of those days if it hadn't been for them coming to the house. They listened to me cry, get angry, talk non stop about nothing, and even let me catch some naps while they worked with Clayton.





So in March of 2007, my world was rocked when Clayton was finally well enough to go to clinic for therapy instead of staying at home. He was so ready for the social interaction, but I was not ready to give up my daily visits from my friends! For the first few months, I felt so lost during his therapy times. And when I picked him up, I felt like I needed to catch up that particular therapist on every single thing in our lives at that moment (while she was probably thinking "hurry it up, I've got another kiddo to see!").



It's been over two years since Clayton made the jump to therapy at the clinic, but I still miss seeing my friends each day. And much to their chagrin I'm sure, I still talk their ears off when I drop off and pick up Clayton each day. Fortunately, two of them live close by and don't mind a bit that our whole family enjoys their company! I'm just so thankful that the Lord brought such special and understanding therapists into our lives!


4 comments:

Candace said...

AMEN! I totally understand what you mean!

April said...

Great friends are heaven sent! I'm so glad you have them!

Kristina said...

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who chats up the therapists!

Lisa said...

Oh, me too! I chat the therapists ears off :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails