Mar 3, 2009

To The Max



As most of you know, Tuesday's are a fun day when we all share inspiring posts from our blogs to uplift and inspire one another. I want to start today's Talk To Me Tuesday with a photo essay by Ellen from To The Max. This post was very uplifting and inspiring to me, so I needed to highlight it. I hope you all enjoy it as much as I did! And when you're done being touched by Ellen's insights, be sure to share your own post to help others as well.

Raising a Child with Special Needs: A Photo Essay



It's hardest when they are very little. You assess their every movement, their every look. Is this normal? Is that? You fear what the future might hold. You wonder why it happened. Why.

As they get bigger, so do their personalities. And boy, can they have big personalities. So much bigger than their disabilities.

Sometimes, they have sisters or brothers to help. Or to fight. It's all good.

Sometimes, they figure stuff out by themselves. If they don't, maybe they will tomorrow, or the month after, or the year after. You learn that they are on their own timeline, and that is OK.

You still have moments when you worry that your child is staring out the window at the world as it passes him by.


But what lies ahead isn't as scary as it once was. You have a new sense of what "normal" means. You've found patience, strength, resilience and determination you never knew you had. And your love for your child? It is so much bigger than his disabilities.




11 comments:

Keri said...

I too love this. I first read it on Ellen's blog and I'm so delighted to read it again. Her words are nothing less than inspiring. Thank you so much for sharing this here.

Anonymous said...

I loved this post!!!! What an awesome way to look at a special needs child!!!

The High Family said...

I loved reading this post too! Simple yet very inspiring!

L2L said...

Tara, I always enjoy logging onto your blog as I get to see your smiling face. Although, my children are "normal" I still get so much insight from your posts. See we have raised our children to be themselves, and that means a bit hiper, not conforming to "the rule." especially my 2nd. He has a very large "personal space". Even as his mother I have to ask to hug him or if he gets hurt if I can help, if I don't then it sends him into an angry rage. At home we work with anger managment but in public I work very hard at not reacting out of embarasment or comparing him to other more mellow kids. Thanks for helping me on my journey to enjoying my kids for who they and not whine about who I wanted them to be!!!!

Colleen said...

Loved that photo essay!

Holly Anderson said...

Love this site! I just found you and am so excited. I've got two SN boys (autism, bi-polar) and love connecting with others who GET IT. Thanks!

Nana said...

That was a cute post. What a sweet little boy.

Danyele Easterhaus said...

more than precious!!! love the pics! fab!

PletcherFamily said...

Great post. That is how we feel sometimes, but our child is just out child!

Ellen Seidman said...

Thanks, Tara, for the post, and to everyone for the really nice words. They meant a lot to me. It is so incredibly cathartic to blog, I ought to charge myself for the therapy. Hee, hee.

Marie said...

I love love love the photo essay! Thanks for sharing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails