Jan 20, 2009

Just Do What You Can

Last week as I was trying to get a few things organized in my storage area, I came across a journal and a cherished memory I'd like to share.

Back in the day, I volunteered for Make a Wish Foundation as a 'Wish Granter.' My experiences in this position allowed me to meet many amazing children and families. I so enjoyed being a part of that wonderful organization and the process that led to making dreams come true for such well-deserved children.



The entire series of actions that are taken from the beginning, when someone nominates a child, to the celebration after the wish is granted.... it is amazing. I am so grateful to have been involved with Make a Wish, and hope that I have time again in the future to join that team again.

One of the little girls I worked with had a wish to go to DisneyWorld with her family. It was such a joy helping to bring that wish to life! When she and her family returned, there was a celebration filled with a slideshow from their trip, and made complete by raising a star in her name to be added to the other stars in the lobby.




Each star represents a wish that has come true for a child. It is a sight to behold. As we raised her star to the ceiling her mom sang the Disney song, "When You Wish Upon a Star." It was a lovely moment.

This little girl had several congenital defects, and one visible defect was the fact that she had only one arm. But when her star reached the top, her mom finished the song, and everyone started clapping, so did she. She clapped with one hand. Although her clapping made no noise, her enthusiasm for life spoke volumes to me.

The song I shared on Saturday, Shine All Your Light, has always made me think of the lesson I learned from this little girl. "Just do what you can, clap with one hand...."

I hope we can all just do what we can. It doesn't matter if it doesn't measure up to what others can do, or if we wish we could do more than is possible for us. What matters is that we do our best, give all we have, to each moment and each person.

Please join me in sharing an inspirational post from your blog. Just add your name and link to the Mister Linky below, and be sure to visit the other links as well. Everyone who participates will be put in the drawing to win a fleece snowflake blanket!



18 comments:

Shelly said...

Tara, thanks for this topic. I actually just finished writing about something similar and thought I'd share (again). I think we have to remember to find what's important to us and then do our best with that. I love the story of Make a Wish. Awesome.

mommyvonzechs said...

hello Tara, thanks for your droppin by. By the way, I love children and anything related them, so I add your banner at mine. Therefore I can visit ur site that talk more about kids :) wish that we can give the better and the best life for them all...

Anonymous said...

That sounds like an amazing job you had!

Susie said...

What a beautiful post and a very good reminder to us all! Thanks for that:-)

Becky said...

great post today. we had the amazing opportunity of taking Ben on a make-a-wish trip to disney as well. it was an unforgettable memory that i will always be thankful for!!!

Green said...

Make a wish is such a great org.
I have seen them in action and it is so inspiring!

Green said...

Make a wish is such a great org.
I have seen them in action and it is so inspiring!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful post! That's such an amazing and inspirational story. I can't wait to read all of the other posts. What a terrific idea!

Colleen said...

Thanks for sharing about your experiences with make a wish and the wonderful wish you helped grant! My daughter had a wish granted last year and it was such a wonderful thing!

This is one of my first blog posts and has Kennedy's make a wish in there.
http://kennedyandzach.blogspot.com/2008/09/support-make-wish-foundation.html

Jen Olson Brown said...

I love the stamp idea. My son draws pictures of monsters/aliens/dinosaurs daily and now, besides keeping a few, I can keep that moment alive with letting him wear it! I will try it out!

Coffee with Cathy said...

This post is exactly what our incoming president meant when he talking about community service. Thank you for inspiring and sharing.

April said...

I just love your blog. What a great job you got to do.

Kristina P. said...

Make a Wish is such an amazing organization! Thanks for sharing this story!

Jo-Ann said...

Make a Wish is one of my favorite charities. I had never see the stars before though, how beautiful.

Thanks for sharing wonderful story.

Emma said...

I will have to say that after reading this blog it leads me to believe that Heavenly Father was preparing you for the Special little girl that you have the privelege of raising!!! You are an awesome mom and person! Love ya!!

♥ Boomer ♥ said...

I loved your story and thank you so much for sharing it with us. Very sweet and very special.

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

PletcherFamily said...

Beautiful post. I have had several patients who have used Make A Wish and it is such an amazing organization. Thanks for sharing!

Jules AF said...

My brother got a wish granted, and he, as an eight year old, also wanted to go to Disneyland. I've ALWAYS tried to volunteer for that program, but they never call or email me back! It's so frustrating!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails