Dec 10, 2008

Love in Action

The other night while watching the news, I found myself feeling discouraged. Let me share just a few words that stood out to me: scandal, oppose, protestors, layoffs, torture, executions, crime, bad economy.... I could go on and on, but you've all watched the news before. You know what I'm talking about. There is a lot of negative. It got me feeling discouraged and anxious about the future. Then I realized..... there are so many good things I can do.

With that simple thought, my feeling of discouragement was replaced with excitement over a few ideas I have to help others. And I'm petitioning for your help! Let me start by introducing you to my friend Shellie's son, Dallyn....

I was going to describe him, but I think the pictures do a much better job than any words I could come up with. I will tell you, though, that he is 8-years-old. He is a lover of life and illuminates the room when he walks in.

Dallyn is scheduled for his 2nd open-heart surgery in January. His 1st surgery very nearly took his life and left him in the ICU for over a month. Needless to say, his mom is not excited at the thought of this surgery.

I am asking any of you who are willing, to send a little something for Dallyn or his family to help encourage and help them through this. I'm not asking for any grand gesture, but something small... a card made by your kids, a note to Shellie, a teddy bear your children don't play with anymore..... just anything you can give to help them. If you're interested, just leave a comment on this post and I will reply with information of where you can send your gift to Dallyn.

In this life we cannot do great things.
We can only do small things with great love.
--Mother Teresa


I would also like to ask any of you who are interested to join the spirit jumpers cause. This was a cause and idea created by Meaghan at I Kicked Cancer's Ass. She herself is going through significant cancer treatment right now, but is focusing on helping others. That is amazing.

I have been on both side of the spirit jumpers cause. I was able to help someone who is battling cancer, and felt the benefits of service in doing so. I also know that someone who was participating in Meaghan's cause was able to send something to Jack, my husband's uncle. Jack was recently told he has 3-6 months to live due to liver cancer and other complications. The gift that was given to him will lift him, but will remain after he passes to lift his wife and childlren. It is not about the gift, but about the feeling of love, charity, and hope that accompanied it.



If you would like to join the spirit jumpers, click here to find out how.


If you know of anyone who could use an outpouring of love because of struggles in their life, please let me know. I will do what I can do and try to get others to help as well. It is my hope that we can all feel the spirit of charity, whether you get involved in one of these ideas, or participate elsewhere. It is, after all, the season to give.


Here's to a better tomorrow for so many,

17 comments:

Heather said...

What a handsome boy! I like your Christmas quote so much. My girls are finally old enough to really get what Christmas is really all about and it's been the best one yet!

Corinne said...

Thanks for stopping by our blog... and WOW, I'm so glad I found yours! I have a special interest kids with special needs. What a great blog! Would you be interested in contributing a post to our blog about the work you do? Maybe by highlighting a child like Dallyn who needs our help?
Email us at womendoingmore@gmail.com if you are interested. Thanks!

Nana said...

He is a cutie! I want to help. I will get the info from you later.

Barbaloot said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog Tara! And don't worry---I love blondes:)
And I also love the music you have on this blog!

Melissa said...

I'm so glad I found your beautiful blog! What an inspiration you are!

CynthiaK said...

What a vibrant and wonderful boy! Thanks for sharing those amazing photos and a bit about his story.

I'm sure his surgery will go very well in January and the love he's receiving will help him recover quickly.

A beautiful blog. I'll look forward to visiting again soon.

Nichole said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog yesterday and for leaving a comment while you were there :o)

Shelly said...

What a cute boy! And, although I can't do much to help, maybe just passing on the word from one Shelly to another Shellie...my prayers are with you and your handsome son. I know too well that heart surgery is scary, and I hope things go much more smoothly this time! Shellie, you're not alone! Good luck to you and your son.

Mel said...

Hey Tara I would love to help with any of you causes!! In our family instead of my mom and her siblings and us as kids exchanging gifts we do charitable acts instead and put the money we would use as gifts on each other towards that. I would love any info you have on different causes, and who knows maybe I can get the whole fam on board... if not at least my little family will be!! You are welcome to the elf on the shelf stuff, it is so fun, and the more the merrier!!!:) You can send me any info jacmelanie@msn.com. Love ya!!:)

Shauna said...

I'm new here! What a great blog :) ♥ Hugs!

Amanda said...

I never watch the news, I'm depressed enough with my own life. Watching the horrid things going on in the world just makes me feel even worse! I will look into the spirit jumpers, thanks for the recommendation!

Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks for stopping by my blog, and of course I wouldn't mind if you featured it. Your blogs are great and as I've said before it is so great what you do.
How is your little girl?

Martha@A Sense of Humor is Essential said...

I would like to send a book to this adorable young man and a note to his mom. Please send me the details at your convenience and I will get it in the mail.
Thank you for giving me this gift, Blessings, Tara.

Loriann said...

Hey, I would love to help him, my girls love to make care packages for others. At Cristmas we visist our local hospital, on the pediatric (peds) floor, and pass out books and toys to the kids in the hospital... I have a child with lots of issues, so we know how it is. Hannah is 8, she will be 9 in two weeks, and she has allergies, chronic asthma issues, a hole in her heart, pulmonary valve stonosis - she had her first heart surgery at 4 months old, sleep disorders, migranes, and hypogammagoblunemia (CVID)
we are in and out of the hospital... also she has had mono 7 times in 3 years. We would love the info on Dallyn. Where will his surgery be?
Thanks so much... please send the info here...
loriann127@yahoo.com
also our blog is
www.thatssogod.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I would love to be able to send something to Dallyn. It may be something as simple as a card, but if it will help raise the spirits of him and his mom I'm all about it. You can email me at bluemoongemini at gmail dot com about where to send. Thanks so much for introducing us to this amazing little boy. He is precious!

WheresMyAngels said...

Oh the poor little guy. Mercede had her second open heart right after Christmas two years ago. Hoping I have some free time tonight to give you a call.

Jessica said...

Seth and I had the pleasure of teaching Dallyn in primary a few years ago. Ever since then, he has always held a special place in our hearts! Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your Mom Dallyn!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails