Sep 17, 2012

Parenting Manifesto

It has been quiet around here, hasn't it? I'm sorry about that. It is not for lack of inspiration, ideas, or stories to share. I simply got out of the habit. But I feel a sense of rejuvenation. I believe in kidz. I believe in the relationships I have been seen others build as a result of kidz and other similar sites. Most importantly, I believe in our kidz and US - us special needs parents who live and breathe this life and sometimes feel discouraged and need to hear that someone else has felt that way or an idea or thought someone else has had that lifts you up, even if for a moment.

This 'Wholehearted Parenting Manifesto' by Brene Brown, PhD. is one of those ideas/thoughts for me that helped me see myself and my situation with a little more clarity for a moment. It wasn't written with special needs parenting in mind, but I do think it is applicable in every possible way. Read it and soak up the message.


I'm glad I went to Brene Brown's site for one other reason: I found this book of hers, The Gifts of Imperfection, on the sidebar. Read the subtitle: 'Let Go of Who You Think You're Supposed to Be and Embrace Who You are.'


I think that is beautiful. It is one of my favorite parts of the manifesto as well... HAVE self-compassion and embrace your imperfections so you can TEACH your children to do so. Isn't that SO important? For every child and every parent, YES. For a special needs parent to teach their special needs child? Perhaps just that much more important.

So, yeah, I bought  the book based solely on the subtitle.

And on that note, happy Monday, y'all! Make it a great week!!!


Photobucket

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails