Apr 3, 2012

Kids Beyond Limitations

Photobucket 

I find something interesting. When Chloe has an ear infection, there are multiple antibiotics available to help treat the cause of her symptoms. This way if she has an allergy to a medication or a contraindication with another medication she is on, or if one antibiotic just tends to work better for her, then options are availble. However, when it comes to physical limitations, there is only one option: physical therapy. Please don't misunderstand, I am not under-cutting the specialty of physical therapy. It has its place for many people and many indications. However, would it not be logical that OPTIONS be avilable? Just like the example of antibiotics, wouldn't it make sense to see what the response is for that specific person and/or that specific diagnosis or symptom? Physical therapy doesn't seem to be working, so shouldn't we be trying something else? Yes, physical therapy works for many people, just like penicillin does. BUT, just like penicillin, it doesn't work for everyone.

Well, that's what we did a few years ago. We tried something else. I had heard through the special needs blogging grapevine about Anat Baniel Method (ABM). I thought I'd give it a whirl. In the first half hour visit, Chloe made more progress than she had made in over two years of physical therapy! I felt a difference in her core strength after a half hour! I knew I had to provide this therapy for my daughter. Unfortunately, though, since the healthcare industry only understands and approves physical therapy as a valid form of treatment, we had to pay for every dime. But since my husband and parents also immediately noticed the difference in little Chloe's body, it didn't seem like a burden to sell some of our possessions and humbly accept financial contributions from my parents. After only 3 months of Chloe being in ABM, she could hold her head on her own, use her hands better, and sit with limited assistance. Because we could not afford to keep it up (we only had so many possessions to sell!), we had to quit the therapy and watch the regression.

Whoa. I didn't plan on getting on such a soap box, but it just kind of happened! Anyway, what brought this up was the fact that Anat Baniel, just last week released a book all about this therapy. At first I was excited about the book, then sad because it was just a reminder that we can't afford to do what works for our little Chloe! BUT (whoa, me and my soap box on this post! Sorry!).... in case anyone else CAN afford this and/or is just interested in learning more, I had to share our experience and the news about the book release!


My main point? If you're not seeing results with traditional therapy, look into this book. If you can find an ABM practitioner in your area, then give it a whirl. In some areas, they have free sessions so people can try it and see if it works for them. It's worth looking into!

Photobucket

1 comment:

Cristina said...

Thanks, Tara! I can't wait to check this out! You found Now I Can for us. If this works even half as well, it'll be worth it! (Thank goodness for grandparents. :) I'm downloading the book as I type... Love to you, Chloe, and Oby!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails