Feb 28, 2012

Try This Fresh Perspective On Your Strengths & Emotions

Photobucket
I went to a women's conference a few weeks ago and I keep thinking about one of the talks. It really resonated with me and I wanted to share it with all my kidz readers. I hesitated to do so, though, but it just keeps nagging at me and I cannot put it off any longer. I hope you can be touched by this like I was. It really helped me accept and understand some of my feelings about a lot of things! I'm just doing a re-cap from my notes about the talk given by Julie Hanks, a clinical social worker/therapist as well as a singer/songwriter. If you've ever wondered where your miracle is and can relate to the lyrics of her song, then the message of her talk is for you!

Overwhelmed and underpaid
Morning comes too soon
Running late and on my plate
A million things to do

Got a baby cryin'
Another trying to find the other shoe
When I open my eyes the dam will break
Their need will flood my room

My mother's sick
And I'm late to pick up kids at school
I need to clean, can't fit in my jeans
The fridge gives no comfort food

You made wine from water
And raised up Jairus' daughter from her bed
Filled the empty fishing nets
And with some loaves and fishes fed a hungry crowd
Make enough of me to go around

Multiply and magnify this tiny little life of mine
Enlarge me and expand this heart and fill it with divine
My heart is cold, nothing grows but thistles and some thorns
They choke the light and shrink the vine, I need to be reborn

You made wine from water
And told a scarlet daughter, 'Sin no more.'
Surrendered to the garden,
Through thorns and nails you pardoned the angry crowd
Make enough of me to go around


 Many women live by several myths:
  • Taking care of myself is selfish
  • I should always be happy and perpetually sweet
  • Acknowledging my strengths is prideful
These things are NOT true! This is truth:
  • We have to take care of ourselves first so we can take care of others.  (Think of the oxygen mask in an airplane).
  • We need to acknowledge all of our emotions so we can identify the source of those emotions, manage them, and use them for good purposes.
  • It is ultimate humility to acknowledge the good of God in yourself. Understanding and owning your divine attributes and divine purposes is one of the highest levels of gratitude. Here's a short clip from Julie Hanks talking about accepting your strengths and improving your confidence:



Start to think of emotions as E-MOTION ---> energy in motion. Emotions are to be used as a guide in our lives and to help us understand our true, authentic self. We don't have to feel better, but get better at feeling and understanding those feelings. Don't suppress your emotions. Instead, ponder on them, then use them to direct your actions and interactions so you can be a source of joy as well as find joy for yourself! What brings you joy is information about your life's mission, so prioritize the things that bring you JOY!


Oftentimes our to-do list doesn't get checked off because we spend time taking care of other things that come up, like talking to a friend who is going through a hard time, doing a craft with our child, or going on a walk because the weather was so nice and it made us happy. Then we beat ourselves up when we look at the unchecked items on our list. Stop that!!! Instead, make a "Ta-Da!" list at the end of each day. This is a list of good things you did, those things that really are most important. Acknowledge your accomplishments, do not dismiss them because you didn't achieve the trivial tasks around the house. See and appreciate the good within yourself and all the good that you do each day!

I hope these concepts touched even one other person as much as they touched me. As I have applied this fresh perspective on my emotions and strengths, I have seen a tremendous difference in my life -- an increase in happiness! And you special needs mamas definitely deserve a little more happiness!

  Photobucket

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails