Oct 8, 2011

Smallest Wingless

Photobucket




This week, I've been overwhelmed with gratitude for my Samantha. I just can't imagine my life without her...with all her imperfections, she is absolutely perfect to me. The struggles and pain that we have experienced (and will continue to experience) is refining my life to help me become who I need to be ~ and her light influences reaches out further than to just me. You know that feeling, like your heart may burst because you love that little child so much? I have felt that often over the past couple weeks.

And then, my thoughts have turned to those who were only touched by a moment of life with their child. I have met many who didn't have the chance to experience very much mortal life with their babies. You may be one of those....or will be. My heart aches for you. As I type, I cry thinking of the sadness you may feel. And my gratitude for each moment I have with Samantha increases. What I have learned from those who have had to face the heartache of losing a child has been a deeper understanding of the reality that every. moment. matters.

Craig Cardiff heard about Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep (follow the link for more information) and was inspired to write this song. Whether you lose a child at birth, a day, month, or years later, I feel like this song rings true to the heart. (Grab a tissue.)



dear one we've been waiting for you.
thrilled, beside ourselves you've arrived.
white coats came in heads held low.
talked for a bit, shuffled outside.

we closed the curtains, held each other and cried.
said hello at the same time we said goodbye.

smallest and wingless
leaving as soon as you arrived.
sadness is just love wasted
with no little heart to place it inside.

we closed the curtains held each other and cried.
said hello at the same time we said goodbye


Photobucket

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails