Jun 20, 2011

What the Diagnosis Cannot Do

Photobucket
Don't you sometimes feel like your child's diagnosis has completely taken over your life? That's how I had been feeling recently -- overwhelmingly victimized by Chloe's special needs.

Well, I learned long ago that when I start to feel like a victim, I have to dig deep and find a way to become the victor instead.

In this case, I've been stumped.... I've felt defeated, but I didn't stop trying. I kept seeking a way to become victorious. Then my answer came when I was looking for something for a friend who is battling cancer. I found this print: What Cancer Cannot Do. Its message spoke to me.

Please don't misunderstand. I'm not trying to compare Cerebral Palsy with cancer. It's a much different battle indeed. But I believe the underlying message of that inspirational print works with any diagnosis. When I read it, the victim within me was quickly overtaken by empowerment.

Yes, Cerebral Palsy has changed things, but it has not won and it will not win. It has given my daughter disabilities that have affected our lives, but it has not and will not disable our ability to live a happy and fulfilling life.

I created this, very much mimicking the print I found for my friend (I'm taking no creative credit for this). Input whatever diagnosis your child might have and realize that your child is not about their diagnosis; your child's diagnosis is so much more limited than you realize. Don't give the diagnosis so much credit and give yourself and your child more credit. Soak up the message and have a great week!....


Photobucket

2 comments:

April said...

I loved this Tara! perfectly said.

Jenny said...

I love this Tara.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails