Apr 6, 2011

Advocacy

Advocacy...


A word to strike fear in every special needs mom's heart.


Are we doing enough?


Did we gather enough donations?


Did we spread the word to as many people as we could?


That word alone keeps me from sleeping many nights.


I think as a mother to two wonderfully special children, the urge to "change the world" pulls strong.





It beckons me in my sleep. It haunts my dreams.


It drives my crazy.


Luckily, my new best friend, Kindle, has opened up more books regarding advocating for my children.


Unluckily, it leaves me feeling even more overwhelmed.


Our motto has always been to educate your own community. Start small. Spread the word.


It may sound easy cheesy, but then life happens.


As my children grow, I want them to be proud and strong. I want them to see the Ability in their disAbility. Its a lesson that is sometimes hard to teach even in our own home.


I find myself telling Autumn there is no way she can do something. Autumn keeps finding herself proving Mommy wrong.


Take today for instance:


Autumn has mastered her wheelchair. Next week we will order her very own and with any luck it will be just amazing!!!

(We are keeping the colors secret for now)


She can roll all through the living room and dining room. She has maneuvered herself into the hallway to go into her bedroom. The kitchen, however, presents a problem. The entryway into the kitchen has a "door seal" on it. Forgive myfeminine ways when speaking about anything involving construction. She has gotten so frustrated because she can't seem to get over that hump.


Today as I was washing dishes, she proceeded to try again. I continued to tell her she would not be able to get over the hump. She continued to scream and throw a fit. I decided to pick my battles on this one and continue to let her try.


As I was walking into the living room I heard her start rolling pretty fast. I turned around to see my sweet girly girl do a wheelie in order to get over the hump and into the kitchen!!


My first reaction~~~Wooohoooo!!!! Look what she can do!!!

My second reaction~~~~Oh no, now she can get into the kitchen!


After clapping for herself ever-so-proudly she rolled right into the laundry room and started removing the clothes from the hamper and throwing them on the floor.


Mommy's little helper.





In that moment, though, I realized that sometimes I am too quick to give up and not get over the "hump." I get discouraged and outraged. I preach on my soap box from my very own porch.



And then my voice goes quiet. I am terrified of ridicule or scrutiny.



My children deserve so much better.



So here, in the middle of the night, by the light of my laptop I am choosing to spread the word.



"Never be afraid to raise your voice for honesty and truth and compassion against injustice and lying and greed. If people all over the world...would do this, it would change the earth. "
— William Faulkner


1 comment:

Shannon said...

Love this, love the analogy. Thank you for staying up late and sharing. :) Thank goodness for the kids that don't even let their parents get in there way right?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails