Nov 19, 2010

Sensory Decorating

kidz

Given the fact that Thanksgiving is quickly approaching, I find it only fitting to do a post on what I am thankful for. I think that anyone who knows me knows that I am going to say that I am most thankful for Hailey. It’s amazing how much one little girl can teach us just what is most important in life. Through Hailey we have learned to live in the moment, to not take everyday tasks for granted, and she has shown us the true meaning of strength and spirit. She has warmed our hearts and our home, just like the Thanksgiving apple pie!

This time of year take advantage of the seasons abundance of textural elements to bring the outside in.


The above picture is an example of a textural table scape for the Holiday. Make this a fun event for you and your child by foraging through the woods, or if you live in New England you may be lucky enough to find all of these beautiful treasures right in your own backyard. I think this is a wonderful thing to do especially if your child has any textural issues. There is something to be said about picking your own pine cones up off the ground and putting them in a basket to bring home and decorate for the holidays. These things will easily transition into your Christmas decorating as well. How easy and inexpensive! Your child will be happy to be included in the fun and the creative process. We all have glassware in our cabinets. I used a variety of heights and shapes to create interest. You don’t even have to have expensive glassware to look elegant. In fact if you look closely you can see that I have inverted the cover of my cake dish and placed it on top of a very generic cylinder vase. Add brilliant colored foliage from a maple or oak tree for height and visual interest and flank the base of the table with gourds, small pumpkins and a few candles for a reflective element.

What are you thankful for this Holiday Season and what things do you have planned with your child to help with the Holiday Decorating? Please let me know if I’ve inspired you and share with us the ways you engage your child in the holiday decorating.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails