Oct 4, 2010

A Grandmother's Perspective

kidz
My post today is a call out to grandmother’s everywhere that have the privilege of being touched by a grandchild who was born under non typical conditions. I never take it for granted that Hailey is with us today. I marvel at the opportunity to read her a book or take her for a walk. It is always my pleasure when my son and daughter in law have an opportunity to do something on a Saturday night and I get to have a sleepover with Hailey. I cherish these moments because I remember that day in the hospital when I found myself praying to God to just let her live.

Often times when a child is born with a disability it can be a heavy strain on the parents, financially, emotionally, and physically. Extended family can play such an intricate role in the well being of a child/person with a disability or to the family as a whole. A lot of times people want to help out but have no idea how to, so instead they shy away. Whenever possible try and lend a helping hand, you would be amazed how much a small gesture can really help out. It doesn’t have to be monetary assistance, love and support is probably the best thing that you can offer. To know that you are not alone in this is very comforting. Whether you are a grandparent an aunt or an uncle, or a close friend, get involved in the life of someone who has a disability, I guarantee you won’t regret it. As a matter of fact, you may think that you are helping them, but what you will quickly learn is how much they are helping you. Helping you to be a better person, helping you to be a stronger and more caring person. You will no longer feel helpless, you will feel blessed.

5 comments:

April said...

What a beautiful perspective! Thanks you!

Anonymous said...

Janet you are such a blessing to your family. I am amazed by your kind spirit :)

Angela
http://angelaleen.blogspot.com/

Jenny said...

I totally agree with this. My parents and in-laws have been such a support to us. In fact, after Samantha was born, we lived close by some of her uncles. They came over frequently...and just knowing they were there, wanted to be by her and spend time with her...it made all the difference. I feel like I'm able to do all I can because of the love and support of those around me. Thanks for posting this.

Junior said...

Great perspective.
My parents have been wonderful with Junior and excepted his as their grandchild from the first day.(he came to live with me when he was 2 years old). Family support is so important.

Janet "Grammy" Harrold said...

Thank you for all of your kind words!
They mean so much to me.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails