Jun 30, 2010

A Tradition of Gratitude


In high school I started a tradition of sending quick text listing the things I was grateful for that day to a handful of my friends every night before bed, and the idea quickly spread. Now, two years later 25 people participate in the nightly exchanging of a 'thankful text'.

“Happiness is itself a kind of gratitude.” — Joseph Wood Krutch

I have found that practicing gratitude daily HAS made me a happier person. Sometimes at the end of the day, when it has been 'one-of-those-days' I stare at my phone for a long time trying to find the humility to make my list. Some nights I can only write "Tonight I am thankful that today is almost over." However, for the most part, I look forward to writing that text every night. It invites a simple peace into my life, realizing again and again that I have more blessings than I can ever take in.

"Gratitude is a positive experience that comes from recognizing gifts or blessings and feeling thankful. It is also an attitude, a way of perceiving life, in which individuals are willing to receive and acknowledge the beneficial actions of others on their behalf. Those who consistently display such an attitude are said to have a grateful disposition. Gratitude is also a habit that can be cultivated, causing one to focus on the blessings of life. Finally, gratitude can be defined as a coping response to challenging or difficult circumstances." -Vaughn E. Worthen

Worthen lists gratitude as an experience, an attitude, a disposition, a habit, and a coping response. I can see how practicing daily thankfulness has helped me use gratitude in all of those ways. I am coming to believe that gratitude is almost as powerful as love, in it's ability to reach out to others and heal an aching heart.

Current case studies and research show that cultivating and practicing gratitude can reduce symptoms in cases of mild to moderate depression and anxiety. Practicing gratitude can also lead to increases in optimism, vitality, happiness, a sense of well-being, and a greater satisfaction with life. Grateful people tend to generate more positive memories, reminding them of the good in their lives. Those with higher levels of gratitude are viewed as more empathetic and supportive, more forgiving, and more likely to assist others. Grateful people also report feeling less envious and more generous with their possessions. They thus enjoy better quality relationships.

Isn't that awesome, being grateful can make you a healthier person! I love that more and more research is coming out that proves a connection between our mind and body. I truely believe there is one!

"Life without thankfulness is devoid of love and passion. Hope without thankfulness is lacking in fine perception. Faith without thankfulness lacks strength and fortitude. Every virtue divorced from thankfulness is maimed and limps along the spiritual road." -John Henry Jowett

If you would like to join in on the thankful text tradition, let me know! Live happy, be grateful!

used with permission from the blog Live Happy.

2 comments:

Ambitions of a Trophy Wife said...

I love this idea! I am going to personally challenge myself to do this! I will let you know how I make out!

Jenkins said...

LOVE IT!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails