Mar 15, 2010

Outside & Inside Smiles

I remember a conversation I had with a dear friend while I was expecting Caleb. We were discussing his physical challenges, and we were talking about how we hoped he would be "able to smile back." I thought I could be brave about almost anything, but I worried it might break my heart if he couldn't smile back at me.
Caleb can't always smile back. But when he does, his smiles are glimpses into heaven. They rarely happen on demand. They are usually too fleeting for me to catch on film, but they often appear in those moments when I need reassurance the very most.
I think about that conversation often. "I hope he can smile back..." And now that I have a child who can't always smile back, I've learned that smiling is something that comes from inside. Caleb's smiles are felt more than seen. Even when I can't always see them on the outside, I can feel them from the inside.
And that's just as special.







Dear Caleb, I'm so thankful for your sweet smiles-The outside ones and the inside ones. They are both a miracle to me. Thank you for giving me a glimpse of heaven.
Love,
Mom

3 comments:

Becky said...

So beautiful...as is he. LOVE those pictures. I think the first one is my all-time favorite. xoxo

Kristina said...

Such a sweet smile!

Nana said...

He is the cutest little thing! I am glad that as his mommy you can see his inside smiles too.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails