Dec 18, 2008

Operation Christmas Cards


This Christmas...
Mend a quarrel.
Seek out a forgotten friend.
Dismiss suspicion and replace it with trust.
Write a letter.
Give a soft answer.
Encourage youth.
Manifest your loyalty in word and deed.
Keep a promise.
Forgo a grudge.
Forgive an enemy.
Apologize.
Try to understand.
Examine your demands on others.
Think first of someone else.
Be kind.
Be gentle.
Laugh a little more.
Express your gratitude.
Welcome a stranger.
Gladden the heart of a child.
Take pleasure in the beauty and wonder of the earth.
Speak your love and then speak it again.

~Howard W. Hunter



I have been beyond grateful for several of my readers this week. When Jamie came across a story about the true meaning of Christmas, she thought of me and forwarded the link (you're going to want to check it out).


I consider it an extreme honor that when Jane and Hippie Family recognized that someone needed help in some way, they thought of me and my blog. From the bottom of my heart, thank you. And please - keep the ideas coming. I want to help in any way I can! And, as always, I'm asking for your help too....




The following three individuals need miracles in their lives. Please take just a few moments to read their stories, then send each of them a simple card to add to the outpouring of love that they need.
Simply email me (kidzorg.blogspot@gmail.com) if you're interested, and you will receive an auto-response right away that will give the addresses to send the cards. A simple task with profound results.


Bella

Tiffanie at Three Peas in a Pod is Bella's aunt and is hosting....



Tiffanie says this about Bella....


Bella was born in October with four holes in her heart and a very rare chromosomal disorder called Penta X Syndrome. She is one of 25 babies born with Penta X Syndrome in the world. Because of this disorder, Bella has a very weak immune system. Therefore, She and her parents are isolated from the rest of the world. She can not be exposed to anyone for fear of ending up in the hospital with a life threatening illness. A common cold to her would be four times worse than a typical child.

Because of this, my brother and sister in law have not gotten to be with us for Thanksgiving, Christmas Parties, etc. They more than likely will not be with us for Christmas either. And my father is coming to visit and they will not be able to visit with him. It breaks my heart that they have to miss out on everything. I know they have to for their daughter's sake but this Christmas will not be the same for them.

That's why I have decided to help lift their spirits. They need all the encouragement they can get. It's a tall order and I'm praying that this will work. I'm asking you dear readers to help me send them Christmas Cards with words of encouragement . If you would like to participate please email me and I will send you my mailing address. On Christmas Eve I will present them with all the Cards as a gift.



Amy


According to Jane at Jumpin' in the Jungle, "[Amy] is an amazing woman with a sick son who is now sick herself. She had surgery last week on 2 masses on her neck and the report is they are cancer. Her surgery was very extensive and will take months of recovery. My heart breaks for her yet at the same time I am in total awe of her and her strength. If you don't know her, please take some time to read about her...and her son, Philip....and her family."


Philip has had 15 brain operations, a stroke and over 20 Orthopedic operations. To find out more about Philip, go to his Caring Bridges site. To read more about Amy and keep updated on her status, go to her blog, Our Daily Blessing.

Susie

Susie is a family friend. In October, her husband, Brad, was recklessly shot and killed near their home in a Phoenix suburb. He is survived by his sweet wife. They have one 2-year-old son and Susie is 12 weeks pregnant. Susie's husband, Brad, had always been a blessing to Susie. She has significant health problems (Cystic Fibrosis and heart problems), and he had taken such good care of her. Because of her husband's death, Susie had to sell their home and move into her parent's house. She had to quit school so she could take care of her sick, pregnant body, and be the sole caregiver for her son.


For more on Susie's story go HERE.

Please help me in supporting and uplifting Susie during this difficult time (made even more difficult by the holiday season). Simply send a card. If many people do this small thing, I truly believe Susie will feel strengthened.




For more ideas on how to make your Christmas meaningful, go read this article by Julie King. Some of my favorite ideas from the article:

Declutter and donate. Help your kids go through their clothing and toys and donate them to a local charity. Also, go through your holiday decorations and donate any you no longer use or love.

Forgive someone. We only end up hurting ourselves when we hold onto grudges. Give yourself a gift this holiday season and forgive a person who has wronged you. Forgiveness doesn’t mean you condone their actions, but allows you to let go of the pain. We may think of forgiveness as a sign of weakness, but it shows strength of character.

Call someone you love. Our days are often filled with piano lessons, carpools, and field trips. Take time out to call a loved one that you haven’t talked to in a long time. Let them know how much you truly care about them.

Write a thank-you note. I’m not talking about a “Thanks for the pink sweater, Aunt Esther,” but a from-the-heart letter full of gratitude. Maybe you want to thank your mom for enduring your rebellious adolescence or finally write your third-grade teacher who sparked your love of science.

Find a way to serve others. This could be a year-round goal, but we often feel more charitable around this time of year. Do something that you enjoy to help others. Read aloud to an elementary school class. Knit scarves to donate to a homeless shelter. One friend of mine who is Jewish volunteers at a soup kitchen on Christmas Day so that the regular volunteers can celebrate the holiday at home with their families.

Apologize. Maybe you forgot to RSVP to a friend’s elegant birthday bash or maybe you did something you are ashamed of. We all make mistakes. We often fail to apologize due to our embarrassment over our insensitive actions, or fear that our apology will be rejected and forgiveness denied. Swallow your pride, do the right thing, and clear your conscience.

Grieve with someone. Maybe a neighbor lost a baby, or a friend’s mother passed away. The holidays can be difficult as people celebrate the holidays while knowing a loved one is no longer there to share in the joy. Let someone know you are aware of their grief and be ready to be a shoulder to cry on.

Invite someone over who doesn’t have a place to go. One of my favorite Thanksgiving memories is when my husband invited a co-worker and her fiancĂ©e over for Thanksgiving dinner. They are both from India and it was their first American Thanksgiving. It was great learning about another culture (they were having an arranged marriage) and we discovered how much we all had in common (like playing hopscotch as children).



And remember, Simply email me (
kidzorg.blogspot@gmail.com) if you're interested in participating in Operation Christmas Cards, and you will receive an auto-response right away that will give the addresses.
Please let others know about this too, by email or posting about it on your blog. The more the merrier!


Thank you for taking the time,

10 comments:

Diane said...

Thanks for the reminder that it could always be worse. I think we all forget this in times of frustration and exhaustion.

I'll be getting those addresses from you. I love how small but thoughtful actions turn into storms of goodness!

Come by my blog and pick up your award when you get a chance!

Jane In The Jungle said...

Tara, you've outdone yourself this time. Thank you so much for this.
I'll get the other addresses also.
And that you for posting just the little things we can all do to help and encourage each other!

Becky said...

Thank you for allowing us to help! I posted on my blog your link and what you are doing. : )

Davisix said...

AmyB is a bloggy friend of mine. You have NO idea what this will mean to her. Thank you! This is an amazing idea and gift. :) Ang

Amanda said...

Tara, you're a truly great person. Thank you so much for all your suggestions and ways to make me a better person!

Kristina P. said...

Oh my goodness! This post made me tear up. I will see what I can do.

Valerie said...

Tara you are such a great person. I love coming to your blog. I have something for you on my blog. When you get the chance check out today's post. I'm off to read your stories blogs and emailing you for Operation Christmas Cards. Thanks again!

Jen said...

Man, there are sooo many out there in need! How wonderful that they have a friend like you! You're amazing. Thanks for steering us in the right direction.

Anonymous said...

You are an amazing and inspirational human being.

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for telling your readers about my niece. The outpouring of love and encouragement overwhelms me. So far we have recieved 25 Christmas Cards for Bella and her mom and Dad. Thanks you so much for your help!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails