Dec 5, 2008

Spend Time

If you want your children to turn out well,
spend twice as much time with them,
and half as much money.
--Abigail Van Buren

I LOVE this sentiment, and think it especially applies at Christmastime! Personally, my best Christmas memories are the times I spent with my parents decorating, playing in the snow, baking treats, and many other activities. I only remember a few gifts they gave me, but the time they spent with me, and the traditions we had..... that is forever engrained in my memory! I'm sure you're all much the same. Spending time with your children is a beautiful gift for them. And it's a gift for yourself too, so that makes it even better!
That's exactly why I thought these do-it-yourself decorating ideas were so fantastic. Not only are they stinkin' cute, but they force you to be creative, allow your children to be creative, cost less money, and encourage you to spend more time with your family. Perfect!

FIRST, it's wise to have something to snack on while you craft (if your family is anything like mine).
These adorable guys are easy and delish!!!
According to Kelly has a tutorial for these little nummies HERE.


OK - NOW you're ready to get started on some fun craft projects!
Here are a few I found in Parents magazine....

Lovin' it? Go HERE for a tutorial!


Paint squeezed inside clear ornaments make a whimsical swirly effect

So easy. So cute. The kids will love it. Just click HERE if you want instructions.

I'm a sucker for penguins. And snowglobes. I love this! Go HERE you love it too and want to make one with the kiddos. Parents.com will tell you how!

Corkboard Advent Calendar

for all you paper crafters.... because I know you're out there!

All kids love advent calendars and I think this one is soooo cute! Parents.com provides more info about this fab advent calendar HERE.

I saw these cute little guys on my bloggy friend Sandy's site, Just4Fun....

Paper Towel Roll Snowmen

Sandy shows you how it's done over HERE.

Easy Santa Cards

Kids Craft Weekly gives the scoop on these cute cards. Just click HERE!

Beaded Ornaments

Make and Takes shows you how to turn pipe cleaners and craft beads into these darling ornaments. Click HERE to find out more!

If you're thinking you already have enough Christmas decor and ornaments for two or three households, consider making them to give to a family just starting out or a family less fortunate than you..... or to thank a teacher, or to show your love and appreciation for a neighbor or relative. Because they're handmade, they'll be a keepsake for anyone! And this will also teach your children to be charitable. It's win-win now matter how you look at it!

Be sure to leave us a comment and tell us if you liked any of these ideas. If you have any family fun activities or ideas you'd like to share for next time, email me or leave a comment!
And remember, each comment is an entry into the drawing for this week's giveaway. Which is....

2 Martha Stewart Craft Kits

reindeer puppet kit and

pom-pom insect kit

The winner will be announced Monday, December 8th.


And as always, you don't want to forget....


to stop by Nana's Kitchen for some yummy recipes!!!


Have fun!

12 comments:

Sandy said...

Thanks Tara! These are all great idea:)

2thfairy said...

Tara what a great blog! Thanks for your comment on my blog. I hope you got some great salsa!

Nana said...

Those are all too cute.. Did you stay up all night finding them?

Shelly said...

Soooo cute! Keep up the good work with this blog--it's really a great resource!

Jeri Dawn said...

Cute cute craft ideas! Love them.

PletcherFamily said...

Great blog! I am glad you stopped by our blog so we could check out yours! We will be back often! :)

Take care

Diane said...

For the first half of my younger daughter's life I was broke anyhow, so all I had was time and my imagination! And because of that she has become a very giving and easy to please young lady. Taking a pb&j to the park is a one helluva afternoon in her book. And she is always doing things like slipping love notes in my robe pocket. So, when they say money doesn't buy you happiness, I can attest to the truth of it.

Thanks for the great ideas! I esp like the advent calendar. I've been looking for one that isn't too involved in making it since my daughter's motor skills are way off. This one's E-Z!

Speaking of motor skills, crafts are my fav way of incorporating (aka sneaking) fine motor exercise into playtime!

MLP said...

WOOOOO nellie! This site is amazing! I really needed to read that quote tonight. Excited to try some of these things out!!! Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Hey thanks for visiting my blog yesterday :) I like yours a lot so many cool ideas and stuff... your daughter is so beautiful :) it's so great you have this blog and the way you're doing everything...hugs!

Karen Coutu said...

What a great blog you have here! Thanks so much for visiting me.

Karen of the MomDot Street Team
www.MomDot.com

Anonymous said...

Those are so cute! I espacially love the paint filled ornaments and the oreo snowmen!!

kelly said...

love all the ideas! thanks for featuring me!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails